Traversing the world of psychedelic bass music, Chris Komus’s self-titled project is sculpted from the sounds of psybass, experimental bass, and elements of psybient. Dubby vibes and laser-edited basslines are intertwined with futuristic psychedelic atmospheric textures, with orchestral elements and hints of space-rock and blues. Each track is built like a story, conjuring up visuals of future worlds or the vastness of space, but always remaining dialled into the low-end frequencies.
With a slow and steady release schedule spanning back years, he’s released a number of EPs with Shanti Planti including “Wheezing Corporeal Shell” (nominated for best psybass release of 2018 on /r/psybient), “Sickly Fingers” and “The Lioness” (named one of 25 Stand-Out Psychedelic Bass Releases Of 2015 on LostinSound.org). Other recent tracks appear on compilations from Shanti Planti (The “Rhythm Code” Series and “Drift Theory”) and Street Ritual. Chris Komus has prior releases on labels such as Adapted Records and Enig’Matik Records, and also contributed sound design samples on Twisted Tool’s plugin “Ultraloop”. Chris Komus just recently released a collaboration with PRZM via Presently Lifted.
Chris Komus has had the honour of playing many festivals including Boom Utopia (Portugal), Envision Festival (Costa Rica), Infrasound Festival (US), Shambhala Music Festival (Can), Burning Man (US), Motion Notion (Can) and many more, as well as shows across Canada and elsewhere.
Charts & Press
- “Wheezing Corporeal Shell” was nominated on Reddit.com/r/psybient community’s Best Psybass Releases of 2018.
- “Wheezing Corporeal Shell” was featured as an exclusive premiere on The Untz.
- “Wheezing Corporeal Shell” was a Featured Release on Addictech.
- “Squirrelly Eyed Surprise” was featured as an exclusive premiere on The Untz.
- “The Lioness” named one of 25 Stand-Out Psychedelic Bass Releases Of 2015 on LostinSound.org
- Chris Komus’s remix of Quanta’s “Create Culture” was an exclusive premiere on The Untz.
- “Devil’s Thrill” hit #20 on the Glitch Hop Beatport Top 100 Charts
- Chris Komus’s remix of Mad Young Darling’s “Paraben Paraphernalia” appeared in the Top 25 of Beatport’s Glitch Hop Top 100.
- “Cordyceps EP” hit #2 on the top Monthly charts on Addictech, and was a front page featured release.
- “Laurentian Plateau” appeared in the Top 25 of Beatport’s Glitch Hop Top 100.
- “The Thrill EP” was a Featured New Release on Beatport’s Glitch Hop Section
- “The Laurentian Plateau EP” was a Featured New Release on Beatport’s Glitch Hop Section