Traversing the world of psychedelic bass music, Chris Komus’s self-titled project is sculpted from the sounds of psydub, psybient, glitch hop, and world bass. Dubby vibes and laser-edited basslines are intertwined with futuristic psychedelic atmospheres, with each track built around a story like a cinematic score with orchestral elements and hints of space-rock and blues. Conjuring up visuals of a world within the swampy jungle floor, or the vastness of space between our sky and distant icy planets, but always remaining dialled into the low-end frequencies of heavy hitting basslines that reverberate between the trees and the dancefloor.
Chris Komus recently released “Wheezing Corporeal Shell”, his 3rd release on Shanti Planti, alongside previous EPs “Sickly Fingers” and “The Lioness”. Other recent tracks appear on compilations from Shanti Planti (The “Rhythm Code” Series and “Drift Theory”) and Street Ritual (“Global Glitch Vol 2”). Prior releases include “Chamber of Goonbags” on Black Tuna Recordings, “Laurentian Plateau” and “The Thrill” on Adapted Records, as well as two EPs with Enig’Matik Records, “Cordyceps” and “Everything Started to Go Apart”. Chris Komus has also contributed sound design samples on Twisted Tool’s plugin “Ultraloop”.
Chris Komus has had the honour of playing many festivals including: Boom Utopia (Portugal), Envision Festival (Costa Rica), Infrasound Festival (US), Shambhala Music Festival (Can), Burning Man (US), Motion Notion (Can) and many more, as well as a tour in Australian and performances in Costa Rica. He has also performed in cities across Canada and has made appearances in the US.
Charts & Press
- “Wheezing Corporeal Shell” was nominated on Reddit.com/r/psybient community’s Best Psybass Releases of 2018.
- “Wheezing Corporeal Shell” was featured as an exclusive premiere on The Untz.
- “Wheezing Corporeal Shell” was a Featured Release on Addictech.
- “Squirrelly Eyed Surprise” was featured as an exclusive premiere on The Untz.
- “The Lioness” named one of 25 Stand-Out Psychedelic Bass Releases Of 2015 on LostinSound.org
- Chris Komus’s remix of Quanta’s “Create Culture” was an exclusive premiere on The Untz.
- “Devil’s Thrill” hit #20 on the Glitch Hop Beatport Top 100 Charts
- Chris Komus’s remix of Mad Young Darling’s “Paraben Paraphernalia” appeared in the Top 25 of Beatport’s Glitch Hop Top 100.
- “Cordyceps EP” hit #2 on the top Monthly charts on Addictech, and was a front page featured release.
- “Laurentian Plateau” appeared in the Top 25 of Beatport’s Glitch Hop Top 100.
- “The Thrill EP” was a Featured New Release on Beatport’s Glitch Hop Section
- “The Laurentian Plateau EP” was a Featured New Release on Beatport’s Glitch Hop Section